Instagram Stories has been growing rapidly since it launched back in the summer of 2016, and it is now being used by more than 500 million people every day!
But, despite their popularity, I know that lots of business owners are unsure about investing their time and efforts into Stories. You tell me that you don’t know what to post or you don’t understand the point of investing in ephemeral content (Stories only stick around for 24 hours).
The latter is a topic for another post, as there are lots to say on that one, but for now, I want to assure you that you can make a HUGE impact on your crowd through Stories, despite their 24 hour lifetime.
In this article, we’re going to tackle the first stumbling block:
What do I post on Instagram Stories?
Here are 20 ideas to get you started on Instagram Stories – remember, it’s all about bite-sized content and connecting with your crowd!
- Introduce yourself: who are you and what do you do?
- What is your mission in business?
- Who do you help and support?
- Fun facts about yourself
- Talk about the services you offer
- Share photos of your products
- Show your followers what you’re working on right now
- A peek into what’s going on in your world (it doesn’t always have to be business related)
- Shout out the people who support you and your business
- Shout out Instagram accounts that you love
- Ask your crowd a question – use the question sticker or the poll sticker to make it super easy for them to respond.
- A photo of the book you’re reading
- Share an inspirational quote
- Share a post from your grid (hit the little aeroplane icon below any post to share it to your story)
- Demonstrate your product in a video
- Top tips that will help your crowd
- Talk about your latest blog post and let your followers know how to find it
- Promote your freebies
- Your view right now
- Invite people to sign up for your newsletter
There really is so much that you can do with Stories and there are lots of different built-in features that you can play around with to keep your Stories exciting and engaging. From stickers to gifs, photos to boomerangs, don’t be afraid to experiment – there are no rules and you aren’t going to mess up!
Embracing Social Media Stories
It’s worth noting that Instagram is not the only place where Stories are growing in popularity. Usage of Facebook and WhatsApp Stories is on the up and there are even rumours that LinkedIn is testing their own version of Stories.
So, if you’ve been resisting using Stories in your business then now is the time to start exploring the opportunities that Stories can offer.
If you need a helping hand then please don’t be afraid to ask. Over in my Art of Instagram programme I’m helping business owners, just like you, to get to grips with Stories and make the most of all that Instagram has to offer in order to grow their businesses. You can find out more about the programme right >> here <<